Updated: Feb 8, 2019
Lenika Scott 44, Gregg Scott 46
The Scotts’ net worth exceeded $1 Million in May 2015 Education: Ethnicity: African American
Gregg Scott – Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, NC
Lenika Scott – St. Augustine’s, Raleigh NC
When we started our journey together, of course we had the desire to have money, but we didn’t think we would hit millionaire status. Our expectations were to get our degrees, find jobs in our fields of expertise, start a family, and create success that way. As things progressed, life happened and priorities changed. We became wiser, so now we find ourselves on a path different from of our expectations.
We are the proud parents of six daughters: Jazmine, Janae’, Jayla, Joy, Jireh, and Jordan. For that reason, Lenika decided to turn to the home-based business industry after leaving corporate America in 2007. She wanted to be able to not only stay at home with the girls, but also wanted to generate extra income for the family. This was a decision that was not made lightly, because we knew we were making a financial sacrifice. However, the needs of the children outweighed the pursuit of her career. Her desire to earn more income came from her desire to assist her husband, who has always been a great provider for their large family. It was in 2009 when we begin working side by side in the home-based industry. Together, we began to produce five-figure monthly income checks. It was at that point I saw all the incredible possibilities this industry could bring. Within that same year, we received a breakthrough in business and generated our first six
figures in direct sales and built a million-dollar business!
Success has not always come easy for us. Lenika and I were married in 1995 and
had our first daughter that same year. We both graduated from college and started out working in our respective fields, but due to a rapidly growing family, Lenika often looked for ways to bring extra income into the home. She has always had an entrepreneur spirit and a desire to operate a successful home business.
Born in rural Enfield, North Carolina, I was not a stranger to hard work. My parents instilled values in me that I early on realized was priceless. I learned how to be a better husband and father by watching my father lead and doing what it took to take care of his family. In the famous words of my father, I learned, “How to take care of my Business.” His father stood firmly on values such as honesty, integrity, honor and respect, always with a heart to see others do well. These are just a few of the things that I use today as my compass in life. I always seeks ways to provide for my family and create abundance in their lives.
Lenika and I use our strong work ethic, strong love for people but most importantly our strong desire to see others succeed, to pull greatness out of everyone we come in contact with. We firmly believe that everyone has a level of greatness within them. God has given everyone their own measure of greatness, butitisuptoustotapintoit.
Today we build multiple income streams through direct sales, real estate, speaking, coaching and product sales via the internet.
Our Story of Adversity
In 2009, we built a million-dollar business from the ground up. Two years later in 2011, our business completely crumbled and we ended up losing everything. Ground zero, everything—home, cars, assets—gone! As a result, we found ourselves standing in line seeking government assistance (food stamps) to feed our large family of eight. But we decided to quickly pull ourselves together. “We did not focus on the pain, but instead, we focused on the promise. We chose to focus on the vision we had for ourselves and our family.” Our core purpose and vision was to live debt-free, own our home outright and to leave an inheritance for our children. Because of the power of intentional focus, within the last two years, we were able to bounce back, purchase our dream home with cash, build a multimillion-dollar enterprise and recover all. Now we teach others
“Whatever you focus on the longest will become the strongest.”
Advice and Tips
1. Consistency – Being consistent has been one of the main attributes that has allowed us to break through barriers in business even after hardships. I encourage you to be consistent, whether you feel like it or not. Be consistent whether you see results or not; but most importantly be consistent when you do see results. Your consistent efforts today have much to do with your future results tomorrow.
2. Work Ethic – The level at which you perform during your employment or while working a job will most likely be the same level you perform in entrepreneurship. We have never met a successful person who didn’t have a strong work ethic. Diligence is the key, and when this virtue is applied, success is inevitable.
3. Humility – There is always something to be learned or gained through knowledge. True humility is staying teachable, no matter how much you know! Remember, there is someone who will always be more successful, more advanced, and have more wisdom than you have, even in your area of expertise. However, as we remain humble, it always opens us up for more.
4. Resilience – If one is to be successful in business, there will be many advancements and promotions, but also there will be adversities, with many trials and failures attached. However, the power to bounce back, ability to speak life and drive to move forward can never be optional.
5. Forgiveness – Learning to release and letting go is huge in business and in life. Why? Because there will be people who will defy your trust, undermine your character, and maybe even attempt to assassinate your name. If you focus on those things, they can and will serve as a huge blessing blocker. In addition, you must always be ready to forgive yourself and ask others for forgiveness. The willingness to forgive and let go opens the door for unlimited success in all aspects of your life, which includes business.
6. Risk – In business, many times risks are taken and those risks may not always work in your best interest. However, it is worth it because it teaches you perseverance. You may have to change the plan, but the goal stays the same.
7. Ownership – Having a firm, unshakeable belief in yourself is so important. All success starts and ends with you! We teach our organization that “If it’s to be ... then it’s up to me!” You should try it, post it, and affirm it daily. In success, you can never escape personal responsibility. At the end of the day, believe it, execute it, and own it!
As we reflect on the last twenty-plus years, we didn’t think we would be where we are right now. Our minds were so focused on getting a job, pursuing our careers, and taking care of children. Things ultimately took a turn toward entrepreneurship. We realize today how blessed we are because our journey has opened our minds and our thinking to the endless possibilities that entrepreneurship brings.
Not only that but it has inspired so many people to dream big, hope again, and realize that achieving millionaire status is possible.
Share Your Millionaire Story
Share your millionaire story and inspire others to embark on their own millionaire journey. To share your story, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!